Upgrading Raspbian SD Cards for the Pi 2
The Raspberry Pi 2 is a major upgrade over older versions and the SD cards you were using in the
old Paspberry Pi A, B or B+ won't work in the Raspberry Pi 2 unless you upgrade the software.
You have 2 options:
- You can make a whole new SD card with software compatible with the Raspberry Pi 2 and start your projects from scratch
- or, You can upgrade the software in your SD card.
To upgrade the SD card, you'll need an old Raspberry Pi A, B or B+ to do the upgrade.
- Insert the SD card in the old Raspberry Pi and boot it.
- SSH the Raspberry Pi you want to upgrade. If you don't know how to do it, check the tutorial SSH the Raspberry Pi
- The run the following commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods
After performing the upgrade, your SD card will be compatible with the new Raspberry Pi 2 as well as the original ones.